At Roberts Communities, our residents come in all shapes and sizes, and we take pride in providing the most comfortable, safe housing possible for them. This is especially important for our senior citizen residents, as their home safety makes it possible for them to live independently for a longer period of time.
Even the most fit seniors may find difficulty in some activities or chores around the house. In order to make the home more efficient and safe, here are some home improvements to consider:
The bathroom is one of the most common areas where falls usually happen, usually when getting in our out of the bathtub. One thing that can prevent this is installing handles and a non-skid latex mat inside and outside the tub. You can also include a tub seat or have a walk-in shower unit.
- Have grab bars near the walls surrounding the toilet to make it easier to sit and stand.
- To prevent burns, set the thermostat on the water heater to 120 degrees as its maximum temperature.
- Store your toiletries, first aid, and other necessities at waist level where you will not have to bend or reach for them.
- Raise the dishwasher so you do not need to bend too low to unload or load dishes.
- Counter heights that are multi-level with open space underneath can help with seating.
- Higher cabinets can be replaced with lower shelves and drawers for easy access to often-used items.
- Create flat surfaces on either side of the stove to allow for the sliding of heavy pots and pans instead of lifting.
Around the House
- Replace doorknobs and faucets with lever handles for easier use.
- Build a walk-in closet with multiple heights for easy reaching.
- Rocker light switches instead of standard flip switches are easier to use.
- Make sure there is enough room to maneuver between furniture and walls.
At Roberts Communities, we not only offer manufactured homes at an affordable price, but we also provide you and your family with a sense of community. With manufactured communities in Texas and Colorado, each of our communities showcases well-manicured lawns, parks and community centers for all families to enjoy. Choose from many different updated floor plans with well-designed interiors that make you feel as if you were living in a site-built home. Please visit www.robertscommunities.com/ for more information on the many communities we offer.