Fires in manufactured homes are unfortunately common due to heating and electrical system malfunctions or improper storage of combustibles. But fires are totally preventable as long as you can identify any potential hazards and follow safety rules to keep your home and your family safe.
– Always have at least two smoke alarms installed in your home. You should also have at least one fire extinguisher that is easily accessible. Make sure your smoke detectors are operating properly and the batteries are changed every year.
– Do not overload outlets and electrical circuits. If the circuit breaker trips or the fuses blow, contact a professionally licensed electrician so they can check and repair your system.
– Insure your personal property through renters or homeowners insurance.
– Always have an escape plan in the event of a fire or other emergency and make sure all family members are aware of this plan, including a rendezvous spot to all meet up after evacuating the house.
– Ask your community owners if there is an option for residential sprinklers in your manufactured home.
– Have your manufactured home’s heating system professionally serviced at least once a year.
– Any flammable or combustible items should not be stored by heat sources.
– Keep portable space heaters away from drapes, hanging material or combustible materials.
– Keep matches and lighters away from small children, as they tend to be curious about such things.
– Always store all important documents in a fire-proof case. Better yet, reserve a safety deposit box at your local bank for important documents such as birth certificates, marriage licenses, etc.
– When putting up holiday decorations, be sure that they are safely displayed in and out of the house.
– Make a list of all of your personal property including furniture, clothes, appliances, and other valuables. Keep this list up to date.
If there is a fire, get out of the home immediately and go to a neighbor’s house to call 911. At Roberts Communities, we put your safety and comfort first when you move into your new home.
At Roberts Communities, we not only offer manufactured homes at an affordable price, but we also provide you and your family with a sense of community. With manufactured communities in Texas and Colorado, each of our communities showcases well-manicured lawns, parks and community centers for all families to enjoy. Choose from many different updated floor plans with well-designed interiors that make you feel as if you were living in a site-built home. Please visit www.robertscommunities.com/ for more information on the many communities we offer.